Our parish is in the idyllic setting of rural North Dorset with 5 farms, smallholdings and its own parish council. It is the kind of community where we all look after each other. It is easy to feel here the peace and tranquility and the beauty of God’s creation.
Our worship is mainly traditional. We have an 8.00 BCP Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month and a 9.30 Matins on the third. In addition, there are special Services each year, e.g. Rogation (held in the open air at one of the farms in the Parish), Songs of Praise, Harvest Festival, Carols, Good Friday Meditation, Easter, Remembrance Sunday and Christmas. These services often have a modern appeal. We have recently started a study group and a prayer group.
St. Mary’s was built in 1868, partly from stones salvaged from the (now redundant) 15th century church at the east end of the village and serves the villages of Compton Abbas and Twyford. The church building is always kept open during daylight hours. The church building can hold a congregation of approximately 120, has a single manual organ which is in good repair, and a ring of five bells which are rung on a regular basis. Our church hall is the only community building in the parish and is run by its own committee under the PCC.
Farming is our main industry, mainly dairy cattle. Our Rogation and Harvest services reflect the importance of this industry in our community.
Rev Clive Thomas, the Team Rector, is our "vicar", so please contact him if you would like him to visit. Tony Ingleton is our churchwarden, Susan Ladd our secretary - both live in Compton Abbas. Gillian Cross is our link in Twyford. Do speak with them to find out what is going on.
For enquiries about weddings or baptisms, please contact our Team Administrator, Kirsty Wells at the Team Office on 01747 853060.